Saturday, December 22, 2012

Favorite Live Shows in Milwaukee:



10. Titus Andronicus + special guests Ceremony + Jaill (November 23, 2012) Turner Hall Ballroom While my expectations of Titus Andronicus may have been a bit unrealistic (reading about their legendary opening spot for Bright Eyes where the singer dove off of a speaker stack at the Riverside), I was plenty pleased with their straight ahead, high octane rock 'n roll show.  This was the first show I've been to in years that contained an actual mosh pit.


9. Sea Wolf (October 25, 2012) Club Garabaldi
There is something special about seeing a band in a really intimate setting.  Club Garabaldi proved to be the place to see Sea Wolf.   Backed by a tight band and a well-rehearsed live show, Alex Brown Church and his mates delivered a set that connected on so many levels with the crowd.  While not a folk-act, and not really a rock-act either, Sea Wolf delivered a heart-felt performance that showcased his latest release, "Old World Romance," one of my favorite discs of the year.

photo by Will Piper

8.  The xx + John Talabot (October 21, 2012) Pabst Theater
I knew I was in for a treat when I won the xx tickets from Radio Milwaukee.  What I didn't realize is how well this band exceeds expectations with its live performance.  The visual light display was on-par with some of my favorite acts (Phish and My Morning Jacket) and the band delivered a seamless, dreamy set that played perfectly with the Pabst crowd.

photo by Will Piper

7.  Polica (May 9, 2012) Turner Hall Ballroom
Channy Leaneagh is a first rate front woman, and, needless to say, she memorized the Turner Hall crowd. The double-drum percussion, coupled with wicked bass lines, and electronic loops via a MacBook were mixed perfectly, and resulted in a first rate show.  I can't wait to see where this act goes from here (I'm guessing a larger venue than Turner Hall is most likely in the future).

6.  Phish (June 30, 2012) Alpine Valley Music Theater
Seeing that I've been going to Phish shows since 1994, the Vermont quartet certainly has a soft spot in this critic's heart.  Tunes like "Runaway Jim" and "AC/DC Bag" brought about high school memories, whereas newer numbers like "Backwards Down the Number Line," channeled my iner "dad-rock."  The second set cover of "Golden Age" by TV on the Radio demonstrates how this band continues to evolve, and anchored the show with a funky jam.  Simply put, Phish remains an A list act.

Video from Steve Holmes via YouTube. "Golden Age -> Also Sprach Zarathustra"
 
5. Trampled By Turtles (November 10, 2012) Pabst Theater
"Trampled" is an act that I have wanted to see for years.  I can see why they have received so much praise for their live show.  Energetic is an understatement!  Trampled by Turtles is transitioning from being a straight blue-grass act to being more of a song-writer driven alt-country outfit, mixing ballads with foot stomping romps.  Trampled by Turtles clearly exceeded my expectations, as well as many others' during this sold-out performance.

4.  Sufjan Stevens' "Christmas Sing-A-Long Seasonal Affective Disorder Pageant on Ice"
(December 13, 2012)- Turner Hall Ballroom
I knew from the promotional materials hyping this concert that it would be a zany affair, but I did not anticipate how well-produced the music would be.  Strip away the myriad of inflatable Santas, menorahs, and unicorns on stage, get rid of the silly costumes and giant "Wheel Of Christmas," and what you have left are quality musicians who were able to make a two hour show of mostly Christmas music immensely entertaining.

photo by Stephen Bloch


3.  The Avett Brothers- (July 5, 2012) BMO Harris Pavillion, Summerfest Grounds
The Avetts continue to prove why they are one of the best and most consistent acts in the country by performing stellar live shows.  This warm summer night at  beautiful new BMO Harris Pavillion proved to be a classic Avetts show, drawing from material new and old.  The energy never seemed to let down from the first note to the last in this performance.
photo by Stephen Bloch

2.  Charles Bradley & His Extrodinaries  (February 17, 2012)- Turner Hall Ballroom
Who would have thought that a 64 year old soul singer would take my #2 honor for show of the year?  Simply put, Charles Bradley is a performer who leaves it all out there. I cannot think of an act that entertained me more the whole year, from his outfit changes, dancing, and even jumping into the crowd at the end of the show for hugs, Bradley channeled the spirit of James Brown while giving one of the most moving performances of the year at Turner Hall.

1.  My Morning Jacket with Band of Horses (July 8, 2012)- BMO Harris Pavillion, Summerfest Grounds
It had been a few years since I last saw My Morning Jacket.  Holy cow, has this band ever evolved.  This tour, dubbed the "Spontaneous Curation Series" saw the band delivering an entirely different show from night to night, drawing from all of their material, both new and old.  From the opening notes of "Mahgeetah" to the closing notes of "Phone Went West," MMJ delivered a first class, romping rock show.  

photo by Stephen Bloch

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, Pipes. I loved your commentary on the art of mix tapes. And your #1 album of all time surprised me in a good way. I too am haunted by a Wilco tune that sends a chill up my spine every time I listen o it; Impssible Germany. For me the guitar harmonies echo back to Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal days. Keep up the good work. This beats scrapbooking anyday. Ha!
    Schlenx

    ReplyDelete