Thursday, August 4, 2016

Eaux You Didn't Know: 7 Acts I'm Excited to See @ Eaux Claires

A week from now I'll be venturing to Eaux Claire to "return to the river" for the second annual Eaux Claires music and art festival curated by Eau Claire's favorite son, Justin Vernon, along with Aaron Dressner of The National.  Last year's Eaux Claires was one of the neatest musical experiences I've ever had as a fan.

What I loved about Eaux Claires was the eclectic collaborative feel of the festival, and from the line-up it looks like this year's installment will have lots of fun surprises in store for us as well.  Going into the festival, I wanted to share the seven acts I'm most excited to see.

7. Bon Iver:  Friday, 9:20 p.m. Lake Euax Lune Stage
This one is somewhat obvious (as they're the biggest band playing the festival and the headliner of Friday night), but you know that Justin Vernon playing his festival with an expanded line-up, including the siren sounding harmony of Britain's The Staves, will be something special.  I'm anticipating more new tunes from Bon Iver being debuted this year, seeing that the band has not released an album in quite some time.   If you were there last year, as I was, you'll remember this goose-bump inducing opening to the Bon Iver set.  It's good to have music near a river :)



6.  Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Saturday, 4:55 p.m. Flambeaux Stage
Back in 2011, before I even started regularly blogging about music, I attended a $10 show at Turner Hall Ballroom that featured Yuck with special guests, Unknown Mortal Orchestra.  I recall vividly that Unknown Mortal Orcehstra didn't want to use lights to give the illusion of being "unknown." This made me giggle at the time, but the trippy funk-infused rock stuck with me.  These guys have just gotten better- way better- since then, releasing three more records, each of which has succeeded it's predessor.  It's safe to say Unknown Mortal Orchestra is no longer playing in the dark (both literally and figuratively).



 5.  Phosphorescent:  Friday, 3:20 p.m. Flambeaux Stage
I've never seen Matthew Houck and his band mates perform, but have long been a fan of his music. 2013's Muchacho was one of my favorite releases of that year, and Houck's unique voice and storytelling approach to his songwriting has long intrigued me.  I hope to hear some of the cuts from Muchacho along with hopefully some newer compositions.  "Song for Zula," just gets me every time.


4.  Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats: Saturday, 10:25 p.m. Lake Eaux Lune Stage
Rateliff, who spent many years of his career as a road-weathered acoustic troubador, has become a household name of late, since moving to a more rhythm and blues sound.  Since getting a huge break last summer on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Rateliff and the Night Sweats have gone from playing intimate clubs (like Club Garibadli in Bayview where I was blessed to catch Rateliff last fall) to large theaters, to running the festival circuit this summer.  One of my favorite shows from last year, Rateliff and his band mates have only gotten better in perfecting their infectious R&B act, and are primed to be a "show stealing" band at Eaux Claires.



3. Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers: Saturday, 6:25 p.m. Lake Euax Lune Stage, performing The Way It Is
Released 30 years ago in 1986, I remember first hearing the infectious piano melody of "The Way it Is" on MTV and later on one of the very first cassette tapes I ever bought (purchased at Mainstream Music on Port Washington Road in Glendale in fact), which I proudly played as a tween on my red Emmerson Radio Shack boom box that resided in my bedroom.

The Way It Is is a timeless record, and a piece of music that is worth revisiting if you haven't played it in a while. The themes of love, loss, hope and ultimately salvation are as needed now as they were thirty years ago.  Aside from the production of the record, which definitely has a dated "80's feel" to it, the songwriting on tracks like "Every Little Kiss," "On the Western Skyline," "The Long Road," and, of course, "The Way it Is," and "Mandolin Rain" is just plain superb storytelling.

If you have any question as to this record's impact of Justin Vernon's career, just listen to "Best/Rest" off of Bon Iver's 2011 masterpiece self-titled record.  Bruce is an amazing performer who I've had the pleasure of seeing before, but never performing his most well-known record front-to-back.


2. Day of the Dead: Saturday, 6:15 p.m. Lake Eaux Lune Stage
This is the only scheduled performance of the ambitious project fronted by Aaron and Bryce Dessner from The National. The 59 track behemoth of a collection created to benefit the Red Hot organization for AIDS reseach, features a virtual A-List of today's hottest indie rock, folk, and alternative artists reinterpreting the timeless music of the Grateful Dead.

As a long-time fan of the Dead's collection, this compilation is outstanding as it features a wide breadth of tunes spanning the illustrious career of the Grateful Dead, with artists allowed to put their own spin on tunes.  This performance will be a ninety minute set showcasing collaborations between many artists on the collection who are also playing the Eaux Claires festival.  This is an unknown in terms of performance, but with the star power on stage, it is a set I am truly excited for.  Songs I'm most hoping to hear:  "Ruben and Charise" performed by Bonnie Prince Billy and Friends, "Cassidy" performed by Moses Sumney and Jenny Lewis, and "Morning Dew" performed (hopefully) by the National.   This is set up to be a special musical experience, for sure.



1. Phil Cook's "Southland Review" Saturday, 3:40 p.m. Lake Eaux Lune Stage
If I had one regret from last year's Eaux Claires fest, it was not catching Phil Cook's set.  I, instead, saw an amazing set by Elliot Moss, which was surprise show of the fest for me.  However, what I missed was a fun-filled dance party of Americana goodness.  This year Phil Cook is not only an act I won't miss, he's the act I'm most looking forward to seeing.

Last year's solo release Southland Mission was one of my top five records of the year, and an album I revisit over and over again.  It is infectiously contagious and encompasses Americana for everything that it is- a potpourri of rock, soul, and rhythm and blues.  An amazing guitarist and hometown hero (also an Eau Claire native), Cook is rumored to be joined by both Justin Vernon and Bruce Horsnby for his set.  Southland Mission's collection of songs are "anytime" "any person" tunes that work well in good times, bad times and all the times in between.  I can't wait to see who will be part of the "Southland Revue," but know I'll be there soaking up every note.

No comments:

Post a Comment